Egan | Simon Architecture has provided design services for a new kitchen facility and ancillary staff spaces. This project comprises approximately 15,000 sq. ft.. Within the existing residential care facility with 396 beds, the kitchen suppots numerous dining rooms throughout the multi-level facility and provides 3 meals daily for the residents and staff. This dining space also is utilized as a social area, multi-purpose room for individual and group activities.
A very challenging project, the Cal Vet kitchen started as a 5,000 square foot kitchen program and concluded as a more than 15,000 square foot kitchen. Egan Simon was selected as most qualified by the California Department of General Services in relation to our experience in both existing residential renovation works, and commercial kitchen facilities
Egan Simon analyzed the project program and identified the need for a significantly larger project than envisioned previously. The larger project allowed for the full production and plating of individual meals for distribution throughout the facility. Working hand in hand with DGS, this project was fast-tracked with the Department of the State Architect (DSA) as one of the highest priority projects in California and connected to a critical need to provide much-needed Veteran housing.
Program analysis including:
- Meal production workflow efficiency
- Truck delivery systems and automated food suply chain monitorinng
- Full menu specific cook line equioment development
- Dish, pan, and cart washing capacity, staging, and storage
- Low voltage security anbd access control systems
- Freezer/refridgeration stock rotation analysis and capacity
- Emergency power/generator system connections, and emergency water supply storage review
- Expansion/connection to existing infrastructure
- Fire protection systems
- Revisions to existing mechanical /electrical plumbing systems